The Ecocentre vision has been to design using sustainable principles, aiming for the highest environmental values. It even features walls constructed from straw bales that were produced at the farm! This and other innovative building methods results in a highly-insulated structure which has a small carbon footprint.
Advanced design and build has provided a comfortable and stable internal environment in the Ecocentre, which requires minimal heating and lighting energy input. These low impact technologies serve as a demonstration of what is possible using sustainable building.
Included in the highly efficient and truly eco-friendly design is;
- A green, sedum plant roof, reducing water runoff, reducing the building’s carbon footprint and creating new habitats for birds and wildlife
- Walls of rammed-earth thermal mass wall provides a heat store; this works by absorbing heat from the sunspace, and releasing it when temperatures drop at night
- straw bales, a waste product from the farm, results in a highly-insulated structure which has a small carbon footprint
- Recycled timber floor
- Steel substructure sitting on block pads, which both reduces the concrete use of the building and minimizes ground disturbance
- Passive solar techniques maximize the heat gain from the sun and introduces high levels of natural light, reducing the need for heating
- External doors and windows are argon-filled triple glazed, with warm-edge spacers
- Electrical installation has used low energy fittings and lamps, 100% recycled flexible PVC conduit, and also includes activity monitors
- The electricity supply is 100% renewable energy from Good Energy
- Solar hot water and harvesting rain water from the green roof
- Toilets are waterless, solids are composted and urine is separated then diluted for use as a fertilizer
Hiring the Ecocentre as your venue
Our building is an aesthetically pleasing place to work, meet and learn, our space makes a statement about our sustainability values.
The Ecocentre is in a beautiful working farm setting in Nottinghamshire close to both Newark and Leicester.
We are easily accessible from the A46 by car or public transport.
When our rooms are not in use for our courses they may be hired out for independent use whether to hold a meeting or run a course of your own!
For more information please see Hiring the Ecocentre
View Larger Map